Monday, September 27, 2021

Stumbling

Stumbling

Mark 9:38-50[1]

I wasn’t much of an athlete when I was growing up. I tried playing football, basketball, and baseball, but I just wasn’t very good at any of them. My problem was that I had two “left feet” and I was “all thumbs.” I wasn’t fast, and I didn’t have much in the way of ball-handling skills. So I didn’t even make the basketball team, I didn’t try out for baseball, and in football they stuck me on the line. On the other hand, I was in the marching band, and I did play the trombone, both of which require a level of coordination. And I loved riding my bicycle even then. But in most of the sports that were available, I seemed to be constantly stumbling.

The truth of the matter is that we all stumble through life in many ways that we’d rather not admit. As much as we’d like to be able to present to the world an image of someone who “has it all together,” that’s not really the truth about any of us! We all fall short of the “perfection” we’d like to be able to achieve. We all have times in our lives when, despite our best efforts, we stumble. There have been times in my life when it seemed like all I could do was stumble! I would say that what’s important is not whether we stumble, but what we do when we stumble. Picking ourselves up and starting again can be difficult, but that’s how we learn and grow.

Our gospel lesson for today presents us with some potential “stumbling blocks.” Part of the problem is that we who try to take the Bible seriously can find it difficult to handle it when the Bible uses metaphors, analogies, parables, and other figures of speech. It’s especially difficult for us because we are working with words on a page. We can’t see the expression on Jesus’ face to help us understand when he’s using a figure of speech. We use them all the time, and our language would be much the poorer if we didn’t! But because we are used to our cultural metaphors, we understand them. It’s much more difficult when we’re dealing with the metaphors from a very different time and place.

So, for instance, there have been some who believe that Jesus meant it literally when he said that it’s better to cut off your foot or your hand or tear out your eye than to stumble into sin. But most of us recognize that Jesus didn’t mean it that way. A one-handed person can still be a thief. As we saw a few weeks ago, sin is something that comes from the heart, not from any particular body part. John Calvin observed that Jesus was using “an exaggerated form of speech” to make the point that we should make every effort to avoid sin.[2] We might wonder whether Jesus would actually “exaggerate” like this. But if we do it, why shouldn’t he? The challenge for us is to figure it out. I think the Bible can help us if we will pay close attention.

Another difficulty this passage presents us has to do with Jesus’ warning about stumbling. He begins with the image of being drowned in the sea with a huge stone around your neck (Mk 9:42). I think in this case it’s pretty obvious that Jesus is describing a fate that one would do anything to avoid. But we can get confused when he talks about going to “hell,” “to the unquenchable fire” (Mk 9:43). The word in the original is actually “Gehenna.” It was a familiar term in that day that referred to a valley near Jerusalem that was a burning trash dump filled with decaying bodies and rotting garbage. So I think we should not be surprised that Jesus would use an image that people of his day would find shocking as a warning against causing others to stumble or stumbling ourselves.[3] Jesus wasn’t speaking literally about the afterlife, he was painting a word picture to make a point: do everything you can to avoid this!

Another way to avoid stumbling here is to pay attention to what Jesus is getting at. His point is that, just as we would make every effort to avoid either of the “fates” he describes, so we should do everything possible to avoid either causing someone else to stumble, or stumbling ourselves. In the first place, he’s talking about the effects of his disciples’ thoughts of “greatness” on believers who might be vulnerable to stumbling in their faith. But Jesus also urged his disciples to beware of all possible temptations to stumble themselves. In both cases, I think Jesus made such a big deal about it because when we cause another to stumble we diminish them, and when we stumble we diminish ourselves. That’s something Jesus wants us to make every effort to avoid.

When I was younger, thoughts of practicing yoga as a “sport” were the furthest thing from my mind! Even though I’ve practiced yoga for ten years, I still “stumble” with some of the balance poses we do. The fact is that I still stumble in life as well, even though I’ve been working at this Christian thing for over 45 years! While Jesus uses strong language to warn us against stumbling, I don’t think he was demanding perfection. I think he was trying to impress upon us how important it is to avoid diminishing ourselves or someone else by our actions. We all stumble at times, but thankfully, as the Psalmist says, “though we stumble, we shall not fall headlong, for the Lord holds us by the hand” (Ps. 37:24).



[1] © 2021 Alan Brehm. A sermon delivered by Rev. Alan Brehm, Ph. D. on 9/26/2021 for Hickman Presbyterian Church, Hickman, NE.

[2] John Calvin, Commentary on a Harmony of the Evangelists Matthew, Mark, and Luke, vol. 1, p. 291.

[3] Cf. Calvin, Commentary on a Harmony, 285-86.

No comments: