Tuesday, December 12, 2023

God's Peace

 God’s Peace

Isaiah 40:1-11[1]

There was a time not so long ago when “depression” was viewed as something shameful and secret. We didn’t talk about it openly. Then it was widely reported in the news that more Americans than ever were taking anti-depressants. People believed that anti-depressants were just “feel good” pills that those who struggled with mental health issues used because they couldn’t get their act together. But the truth about anti-depressants is that they’re not pills that make you feel good automatically. There are very different types of anti-depressants designed to treat very specific medical issues. And here’s the catch: if you take an anti-depressant that doesn’t treat your specific medical issue, it’ll make you feel worse, not better. And in some cases, it’ll make you feel much worse. I’m not a medical doctor, nor am I a pharmacist. But as many of you know, I do have a life-long history of dealing with depression. I know what it’s like to try to feel just “okay” and simply not be able to do it. Fortunately, with the help of the right medication and years invested with some really good counselors, I am better now.

What medical science has only recently discovered is that the root cause for depression in very many cases is actually anxiety. I’ve mentioned that my experience with early childhood was not a happy one. In fact it was quite traumatic. So much so that I only have a few memories from early childhood. The challenge for me was that the fears from my childhood were wired into my nervous system as an adult. I struggled with chronic anxiety even after getting treatment for depression. I’m not talking about the normal nervousness we all get from time to time. I’m talking about anxiety that stalks you like a ghost when you’re awake as well as when you’re asleep. No matter what you do, you just can’t seem to shake it. Fortunately, again, with the right medical help and some good counseling, I’m no longer plagued by the specter of anxiety.

I don’t mention this to draw attention to myself. I mention it because I know that there are still people who struggle with untreated depression and anxiety. And if I can encourage one person to get the help they need by talking about my story, it’s worth it. More than that, this is the second Sunday of Advent. It’s the day when we celebrate the peace that comes with the good news of Jesus’ birth. It seems to me that if we’re going to talk about peace, we should talk about the obstacles to peace. I have to confess that even though I love the message of Christmas, for most of my life this time of year hasn’t been a peaceful one at all. It’s been one in which I was troubled by pain and fear. And even the good news of Jesus’ birth and the new life promised to all of us through him didn’t help me with my depression and anxiety.

One of the lessons I learned in my journey is that I had to take some practical steps in order to find peace in my life, like using a gratitude list, as I mentioned recently. I also have a list of “all the good things” I’ve encountered in my life that I want to remember. I have as well a “cloud of witnesses,” or a list of people who’ve been my mentors and friends, people who have believed in me and supported me through times of crisis. And one of the main reasons why I exercise so regularly is because it helps me keep my head on (at least) somewhat “straight.” But I have other practical steps I take as well. For example, I’m a great fan of the “Serenity Prayer”: “God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.” In fact, I usually pray that prayer on a daily basis. It’s a constant reminder to me that there’s so much about life that I cannot control. It helps me remember that trying to control the things I cannot change only winds up making me miserable, robbing me of peace. Practical steps like these have helped me know personal peace in my life.

But of course, as we celebrate the second Sunday of Advent, we’re reminded that peace is a spiritual matter. Like many of you, I’ve drawn comfort from the Psalms for most of my life. And going along with the theme of promise I’m pursuing this year during Advent, I’ve drawn comfort from the promises of Scripture for decades. Promises like “you, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek you” (Ps 9:10). Or “though we stumble, we shall not fall headlong, for the Lord holds us by the hand” (Ps 37:24). Or, “the Lord will wipe away the tears from all faces” (Isa 25:8). Or, “those who wait for the Lord will renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint” (Isa 40:31). In fact, I have a list of promises in the Bible I use at home, a list I’ve had for almost 30 years. Reminding myself of those promises has been a source of peace for me for decades.

Our reading from the book of the prophet Isaiah for today speaks to us about peace. The prophet promised the people in the name of the Lord that God was coming to comfort them. But for a people who had lost everything in exile, that promise may have seemed an empty one. During their exile there were many false prophets who had gotten their hopes up. Now, when Isaiah announces in the name of the Lord that the time has finally come, it would seem they had no more faith for promises. In response to their despair, the prophet reminds them that while they may feel that they are like the grass that withers and the flowers that fade, “the word of our God will stand forever” (Isa 40:8). In this setting that statement is an assurance that God will not leave the promise that he would restore his people to their land unfulfilled. But I think it has a broader application. The idea is that God’s promises never fail. That’s because God is a God who keeps his promises.

As I’ve shared with you before, there are some wonderful promises in the book of the prophet Isaiah. In our lesson for today, the “Gospel according to the prophet Isaiah” is that God would bring the people home from exile like a shepherd who gently carries the lambs who are either too weak or who perhaps have been injured (Isa 40:11). This good news echoes through the whole book of Isaiah in various ways. The Lord promises to end violence and warfare (Isa 2:4), as well as suffering and oppression (Isa 25:8). The Lord promises to set a rich feast for all peoples (Isa 25:6), and to set right all the wrongs (Isa 28:5-6). The Lord promises to restore and heal those who are weak and injured (Isa 35:3-6). And again, in case there is any doubt about these promises, the Lord affirms, “My purpose shall stand, and I will fulfill my intention” (Isa 46:10).

This second Sunday in Advent reminds us that the promises of Scripture can help us find peace. Regardless of our circumstances, regardless of what anyone else does, we can find peace through the promises of Scripture because “the word of our God will stand forever” (Isa 40:8). We can find peace through the promises of Scripture because, as the prophet said in the name of the Lord, “my word … that goes out from my mouth … shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose” (Isa 55:11). Yes, it’s important that we do the practical things that help us stay peaceful in our hearts and minds. But more importantly, we hold on to the promises of Scripture in the assurance that God always keeps his promises. That assurance provides us with a kind of peace that St. Paul said “surpasses all understanding” (Phil 4:7). It’s God’s peace, the peace that truly lasts through all the experiences of our lives.



[1] ©2023 Alan Brehm. A sermon delivered by Rev. Alan Brehm PhD on 12/10/2023 for Hickman Presbyterian Church, Hickman, NE.

No comments: