Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Humbling

Humbling

1 Peter 4:12-14; 5:5-7[1]

I have a confession to make. Actually, I think it’s a confession I’ve made to you before: it’s not easy for me to trust God. It’s never been easy for me to trust God. Some of that has to do with my life experiences. But then I would say that it’s not easy for anyone to really trust God. I mean trusting God when your life is going in the completely opposite direction from the path you thought you were headed down. I think to some extent that has to do with a fear that we all share: the fear of being vulnerable. These days, we’re all vulnerable in ways we may never have expected, nor could we even imagine. Being vulnerable is a scary thing, and when we are scared, we don’t have much head space or heart space to trust God. In my experience, the opposite of faith is not doubt, but fear! Fear is the greatest obstacle to trusting God.

One of the challenges with being in a vulnerable place in life is that it can be humbling. I don’t think we’re any more comfortable with being humbled than we are with being vulnerable. We often associate being humbled with humiliation. And for that reason, the humbling experiences of our lives can be painful. I think most of us would rather do just about anything to avoid going through an experience that humbles us. But I would have to say that it has been the most humbling experiences of my life that have led to the most growth in my ability to trust God, and to entrust my life into his care, as our lesson from 1 Peter for today calls us to do.

As you may remember, 1 Peter was addressed to people who were undergoing painful hardships because of their faith. Our lesson for today tells us that they were going through “fiery trials” that made them “partners with Christ in his suffering,” and for no other reason than they “bore the name of Christ” (1 Pet 4:12-14). As I’ve mentioned before, while there was at this time no official ban against practicing the Christian faith in the Roman Empire, the trials believers experienced in the churches Peter was writing to were wide-ranging. They faced the loss of their livelihood, the loss of their families and homes, and at times the loss of their very lives due to the actions of violent mobs.

It was in that setting that Peter called them to practice humble faith. The humility Peter called for not only applied to the way they saw themselves and to the way they approached God, but also to the way they related to one another. Peter quotes the wisdom of Proverbs: “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble” (1 Pet 5:5, NLT). That humility also applied to their hardships. In the face of their sufferings, he called them to “humble yourselves under the mighty power of God,” and promised that “at the right time he will lift you up in honor” (1 Pet 5:6, NLT). Just exactly what that might mean is hard to say, but I think the point of it was to remind them that God was very much aware of all they were going through. More than that, God was actively involved in helping them get through every hardship.

And so Peter called the believers turn to God in every situation with humble faith: “Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you” (1 Pet 5:7, NLT). In this, Peter was probably also quoting the wisdom of the Psalms. John Calvin suggests that Peter was referring to Ps 38:15: “it is for you, O Lord, that I wait; it is you, O Lord my God, who will answer.”[2] This was the Psalmist’s response to a situation very similar to the one Peter’s audience was going through. He described the many foes who hated him, saying that they “repay me evil for good and oppose me for pursuing good” (Ps 38:20, NLT). I think that’s probably one of the hardest times when we may be called to “give all your worries and cares to God”!

But I think that the language of the psalmist might help us here. When he says that “it is for you, O Lord, that I wait,” he’s using a “loaded” word. Some English Bibles translate this as “it is in you, O Lord that I hope” (NKJV). Some English Bibles translate it as “it is in you, O Lord, that I trust” (CEV). I would say it takes all three to get at the full meaning of what the Psalmist was saying: waiting, hoping, and trusting. Trusting in God, especially in the face of hardships, places us in a situation where we do a lot of waiting and hoping. And it takes all three—waiting, hoping, and trusting—for us to truly “cast our cares” on the God whose love for us never fails.

What enables us to do all that trusting and hoping and waiting is the assurance that God cares for us. I think an image from the Gospel of John can help us here as well. When Jesus spoke of himself as “the Good Shepherd,” he contrasted his willingness to lay down his life for us with one who is like a “hired hand.” He said that the “hired hand” doesn’t care for the sheep because they don’t belong to him, and so he abandons them when danger comes (Jn 10:13). But Jesus Christ is our true shepherd, and he will never abandon us, no matter what we may have to endure in this life! That’s one of the most important demonstrations of God’s care for us!

In my experience, learning to trust God to care for me, come what may, has been the direct result of the humbling experiences in life. With the Psalmist, I have to confess that it was “good for me that I was humbled” (Ps 119:71). I’ve been “humbled” by painful events several times. There was one time in particular that I was humbled by something joyful. It was the first time I took the risk of admitting to a friend the one thing that was most difficult for me to say out loud to anyone. I was afraid to tell him, because he was my best friend at the time, and I worried that he might think less of me. What happened is that he had a new respect for me. That was an important lesson in the connection between humility and trust. When we take the risk of humbling ourselves, we may learn that there are people whom we can trust to share our burdens. More importantly, when we go through experiences that are humbling, we have the chance to really learn that we can trust God. When we realize that we cannot rely on our own strength or wisdom or goodness, we learn to “cast your cares” on God, trusting that “he cares for you” (1 Pet 5:7).



[1] © Alan Brehm. A sermon delivered by Rev. Alan Brehm, PhD on 5/21/2023 for Hickman Presbyterian Church, Hickman, NE.

[2] John Calvin, Commentaries on the Catholic Epistles, 148: “But he calls those humble, who being emptied of every confidence in their own power, wisdom, and righteousness, seek every good from God alone.”

No comments: