Monday, February 07, 2022

All Called, All Chosen

All Called, All Chosen

Luke 5:1-11[1]

I’ve been in ministry of some form or another for most of my adult life. As many of you know, I spent 25 years working in the Southern Baptist world. In all that time I was never comfortable with telling people I was a “Baptist minister.” The reason for that was I knew the label “Baptist minister” would carry some assumptions about me that I didn’t care for people to make. On the other hand, I’ve never had any problem introducing myself as a “Presbyterian minister.” I realize that just the word “minister” means that people are going to make assumptions about me. But as a Presbyterian I can live with that.

I wonder how comfortable some of you would feel with the idea of being introduced to a stranger as a “Presbyterian minister.” You know, we do believe that every member of a Presbyterian church is called to share in the ministry of the church. I know that there are other churches out there that still see the clergy as the only real “ministers” and the people only passively receive the blessings they distribute. But we believe that the whole people of God are called to serve. That doesn’t mean everybody is meant to preach or teach, or that you should run out and sign up for seminary classes. What it means is that we are all called together to serve the kingdom of God as we follow Jesus. We are all called, and we are all chosen.

I think that’s one of the themes from Luke’s unique presentation of Jesus calling the first disciples in our lesson for today. Jesus called Peter, James, and John just as they were: “sinful” by Peter’s own admission. They may have seen themselves as unworthy or unable to fulfill the calling, but that didn’t matter to Jesus. He called them anyway. And he called fishermen to go out and “catch” people for the kingdom of God. Although they would later serve as apostles, teachers, and leaders of the young church in Jerusalem and beyond, they started by fishing for people. All of this reminds us that God delights in carrying out his work in the world through those we may see as unlikely, or even unworthy.

It started with Jesus teaching such a large crowd by the Sea of Galilee that he asked to borrow Peter’s boat so that he could teach them. Afterwards, he told Peter and the others, who had finished a long night of backbreaking work with nothing to show for it, to go back out and try again. I dare say that if any other carpenter had given these professional fishermen advice on how to do their job, they would have responded with some choice words. But because it was Jesus, Peter and the others went back out. I also think it’s important to call attention to the likelihood that none of them believed for one minute they were going to catch any fish. They went back out from respect for Jesus, not in faith!

That makes the result even more impressive. These ordinary fishermen, who would not have laid claim to any special faith, rough men who knew what it was to work hard all night long, were the ones Jesus was dealing with. Despite anything they may have lacked in themselves, Jesus worked the miracle of a catch of fish so large that it threatened to sink two boats. Now these were boats made for the business of fishing. I think the point of it all was that catching that many fish was not something anyone would ever have expected to do. Because these fishermen went back out “at Jesus’ word” (Lk 5:5), Jesus worked a miracle through them!

The effect on Peter and the others was overwhelming. Luke says they were “seized with awe” (Lk 5:9) or as other translators have put it, they “were staggered” (Philips), or they were “awestruck” (NLT). No wonder Peter “fell to his knees before Jesus” (Lk 5:8, NLT) and said “I am a sinful man.” I think he was keenly aware of his own unworthiness in the presence of Jesus. But I also think he was overwhelmed by the unbelievable display of what Jesus could do through someone who was simply willing to follow him. I think Simon Peter and the others would have considered themselves the last to be chosen by someone like Jesus, not the first!

I’ve been serving the church in some way all my adult life, for more than 40 years. And yet, as I stand before you today, I would say that in my mind, I, Alan Brehm, do not consider myself worthy of the calling to ministry. The truth that overwhelms me is that God has called me anyway. The truth about all of us is that God delights in working through those who think they are unworthy. Regardless of where you are, regardless of where you’ve been, regardless of where you think you may be going, Jesus calls each and every one of us to join him in his work. And if we will just follow him “at his word” like Peter, James, and John did so long ago, he will do amazing things through us as well.

As I look over a document like our annual report, I see that many of us are doing just that: following Jesus “at his word.” We have people who are teaching, we have people who are preparing meals, we have people who are collecting food, we have people who are leading worship, we have people who are managing our finances, and we have people who are taking care of our properties, and that doesn’t begin to cover all that we are doing. But there’s always more to be done. And the promise of this passage is that when we do follow Jesus “at his word,” God can do more than we could ever expect or imagine. At the end of the day, it’s not about what we think we can or cannot do, but rather it’s about the fact that we have all been called, and we are all chosen to join in the ministry of God’s kingdom.



[1] © 2022 Alan Brehm. A sermon delivered by Rev. Alan Brehm, Ph. D. on 2/6/2022 for Hickman Presbyterian Church, Hickman, NE.

No comments: