Sunday, August 08, 2021

Drawn to Jesus

 Drawn to Jesus

John 6:35, 41-51[1]

I still remember the feeling of being “drawn to Jesus” for the first time. It was at a “revival” service at the First Methodist Church of Kaufman, Texas (a town about 30 miles Southeast of Dallas). All I remember is that we were singing “Just as I am, I come” and I felt an unmistakable sense that I “had” to go. I stood up and made my way through the pew and down the aisle. I was baptized and people shook my hand afterwards. I don’t remember much else, but my mother told me that I had said I was going to “get saved.” Evidently, whatever I told the preacher was enough to be counted as a public profession of faith and qualified me to be baptized. I was 6 years old.

Our Gospel lesson for today raises some questions about how we “come to Jesus” in faith. The language Jesus uses may seem strange to us: “No one can come to me unless drawn by the Father who sent me” (Jn 6:44). Taken on its own, that can sound like a pretty “restrictive” perspective on who gets to come to Jesus and who doesn’t. It’s always important to hear the Scriptures in context, and in this lesson Jesus is dealing with a crowd of people who are more interested in debating with him than believing in him. They just can’t seem to make the connection that Jesus could actually be the “bread” that comes from God and gives life to the world.

It is true that this language reflects one side of salvation in John’s Gospel: our salvation is, from start to finish, the work of God. It is something that only God can do, we cannot do it for ourselves. And so here Jesus speaks about those who come to him in faith as those whom God has “given” him. The idea is that the new kind of living that Jesus calls “eternal life” can only come from “above” as a gift from God. That’s why we say that we are “saved by grace”; when it comes down to it, we all recognize that if we come to Jesus in faith at all it is because God has “drawn” us.

But there is another side to this whole experience: the part where we choose to come to Jesus. All that God does in our lives to draw us to faith points us in the right direction, but it’s up to us to take that step of faith. We find that perspective on salvation also in our lesson for today: “anyone who comes to me I will never drive away” (Jn 6:37). While it’s true that Jesus speaks more in John’s Gospel about what God does for us to be able to come to him and experience “eternal life,” he also says that “Whoever comes to me will never be hungry” (Jn 6:35) and “whoever believes has eternal life” (Jn 6:47). I think that stands as an open invitation to anyone who is hungry or thirsty to come to Jesus.

The “balancing act” between these two dimensions of faith—that it is the work of God from start to finish, and that we choose to come to Jesus—has not only provoked a great deal of theological debate, it has divided whole segments of the church into different denominations. Some insist that God and only God can save us. They use the language of God’s “sovereignty,” which means that God is the one who controls all things. Others insist that everything God has done for us is for nothing if we don’t choose to respond. That’s the language of “free will.” For my part, I would say that while God’s part in all of this is far more important, I think we have to hold both sides together.

I also think it’s more important to focus on the experience of our faith than on how it all fits together in our theology. We all have times in our lives when we have taken a step of faith. And while the choice to take that step was ours, I would also say that if we look really closely at how that all played out for us, we have to recognize that we took those steps because we felt “drawn” to do so. There was something, or perhaps it’s better to say that there was someone who was drawing us toward faith. We all experience that “tug” on our hearts in different ways: through Scripture, through worship, through the influence of someone important in our lives, through the love of family and friends, through the support of a community of faith. But behind it all, God is the one who doing the tugging.

This kind of self-awareness about faith is an important part of our spiritual growth. Coming to faith is not something that happens once for all and then you’re done with it. It’s a life-long journey! We continually experience God’s grace, mercy, and love drawing us toward a deeper faith. But in order to keep growing it’s up to us to keep taking the next step of faith, and the next one, and the next one. That doesn’t just happen automatically. It happens as we open ourselves to the means that God uses to draw us deeper into faith and into new life.

At the ripe old age of six years old, I didn’t understand much of what I was doing that evening when I took my first step of faith. I didn’t know much about God, or Jesus, or the Bible. All I knew was that I needed to come to Jesus. But that was enough. As a wise mentor of mine once put it, “Salvation is entrusting all you know yourself to be to all you know Jesus to be.” But if I had stayed where I was in my experience of faith, I think my life would have looked very different. At times I’ve been more “intentional” about my faith journey, and at other time less. To me, it is comforting to know that behind all of those experiences of faith, God was the one who was at work, patiently but persistently drawing me to Jesus. And I think this is a message we can all take comfort in, because God is constantly drawing all of us to Jesus.



[1] © 2021 Alan Brehm. A sermon delivered by Rev. Alan Brehm Ph. D. on 8/8/2021 for Hickman Presbyterian Church, Hickman, NE.

No comments: