Monday, April 19, 2021

Open to Faith

Open to Faith

Luke 24:36-49[1]

Last week we talked about why faith isn’t easy. I think there’s another reason why faith isn’t easy for most of us. We like to be in control of our lives. We believe that if we just work hard enough, we will be able to “wrangle” life to turn out the way we want it. Life tries to teach us time and again that it really doesn’t work that way. But we’re persistent folks. At least I am. Or perhaps I should say I can be pretty stubborn at times. And I can “wrangle” with the best of them! I’ve spent long years stuck in a rut of trying to push my way through the doors of life only to realize that the sign says “pull”! Surrendering my notions of control, accepting life as it is, not what I would have it be, and learning to “pull” instead of “push” have been challenging lessons for me.

If we pay close enough attention, we find that the Bible calls us to do just that: to let go our illusions of control and surrender our lives into the hands of the one who truly knows what’s best for us and has the power to accomplish that! In Matthew’s Gospel, Jesus began his preaching ministry with the Beatitudes. In our Wednesday night study this week, we saw how Jesus invites us to view “the part of us that is weak, broken, or poor” as “the place where something new can begin.”[2] That may make us a bit uncomfortable, but the only way to open ourselves to faith is to recognize that we don’t have it all down!

When we compare our Gospel lesson from Luke with the other Gospels, we find an interesting development in the Easter story. In Mark’s Gospel, all that’s necessary to proclaim that Christ is risen is the empty tomb. Matthew and John add to the empty tomb the appearances of the risen Christ, and the disciples respond with joy, though we’re reminded that “some doubted” (Matt 28:17). But in Luke’s Gospel, when the risen Lord appears to them and says “peace be with you,” every one of Jesus’ own hand-picked disciples respond with fear, doubt, disbelief, and amazement. They even thought they were seeing a ghost (Lk 24:37)! It sounds like they responded to the risen Jesus no differently than they responded to Jesus in his ministry!

There’s a bit of irony here, though. In comparison with the other Gospel accounts of Jesus’ appearances after his resurrection, the story in Luke’s Gospel seems to go “above and beyond” to demonstrate that Jesus was really alive, and that he truly was present with them in some kind of bodily form. In an interesting parallel to the story of Thomas, he invites them to touch him and see that “a ghost does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have” (Lk 24:39). Then, not only does Jesus show them his “hands and his feet” (Lk 24:39), but he also eats a piece of broiled fish in their presence (Lk 24:42-43)![3] It would seem that all of this was meant to dispel any lingering doubts or disbelief they had. But the irony is that it doesn’t! I think one of the points of our lesson for today is that it takes something more than the message of the good news, it even takes something more that an experience with the risen Christ, to find faith.

That “something more” is that Jesus had to “open their minds to understand the scriptures” (Lk 24:45). That might seem like a strange “sticking point” for those who had followed Jesus and heard him teach. But if you look at how the rest of the NT describes faith, it’s a combination of factors. Faith results from a personal encounter with Christ. But faith also arises as the words of Scripture are brought to life—not only in our minds but also in our hearts. And while the disciples gathered in that room had Jesus to “open” their hearts and minds, for most of us, that’s the work of the Spirit. Faith awakens as we encounter the living Christ through the word of the Lord as the Spirit brings it to life for us and opens our hearts to believe.

In a way, Luke’s story of Easter is all about “openings.”[4] It begins with women discovering that the tomb was opened (24:2). The disciples who met Jesus on the road to Emmaus had their eyes “opened” so they could recognize him (Lk 24:31). As they were returning to tell the others, they were awed by the fact that their hearts were “burning” while Jesus was “opening the scriptures” for them (Lk. 24:32). And here, Jesus “opened their minds to understand the scriptures.” Their eyes were “opened” for them, their hearts were “opened” for them, and their “minds” were opened for them. All of that had to happen for them to be able finally to have the faith to rejoice on that first Easter Sunday (Lk 24:52).

Opening our eyes, opening our hearts, and opening our minds isn’t something that comes easily. We have certain ways of seeing things and we have certain ways of thinking that we insist “should” be true. I know in my life it took being broken for me to be able to open myself up to truly have faith. Not faith that’s easy and convenient, but the faith that enabled me to let go of my fears, my efforts to “wrangle” life my way, and my stubborn persistence that was only keeping me trapped in a prison of my own making. When God brought me to the end of myself, the Spirit opened my eyes, my heart, and my life to a level of faith I had never known. And I hope that—even if it means facing more challenges to grow—I will continue to remain open to faith.



[1] © 2021 Alan Brehm. A sermon delivered by Rev. Alan Brehm, Ph. D. on 4/18/2021 for Hickman Presbyterian Church, Hickman, NE.

[2] Henri Nouwen, Following Jesus: Finding Our Way Home in an Age of Anxiety, p. 35.

[3] Only here in the entire Gospel tradition do we hear of the risen Jesus eating food. John 21:5 mentions food, but doesn’t say Jesus ate it.

[4] Cf. F. Bovon, Luke 3, 395: “The process, however, is not merely intellectual. … The transformation involves entire persons, especially their inner being.”

No comments: